Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I'm so angry

Dear Nicole,

Last week, you emotionally terrorized me. You called your little sister to wish her a happy birthday, only to emotionally abuse her too. Then as if that wasn't enough, you felt the need to do the same to Grandma and called her. But that wasn't enough either; you had to call Grandpa and completely devastate him.

One of the strongest men I've ever known had a complete meltdown today. Your grandfather is not eating. He's not talking. He broke down this morning and cried. No, he didn't just cry; he sobbed. And I don't know if that is even a strong enough verb!

WHY do you feel the need to continue to hurt and abuse your family like this?!? Why did you feel the need to call Grandpa just to verbally and emotionally drive a dagger into his heart? It's one thing to accuse your mother of every lie in your imagination and blame me for all the natural consequences of your behaviors. It's one thing to expect me to enable you to continue those behaviors and to stop-drop-and-roll to your every whim and desire.
But your grandparents?!?

I understand that it's common for an addict to displace blame everywhere but on their addiction. I understand that it's common for an addict to suffer so much guilt, anger and pain that they lash out at others. It's allegedly all part of the addiction. But that doesn't make it right! It doesn't make it humane! And it sure as heck, doesn't make it tolerable!

I'm sick and tired of the drama and being hurt by your behaviors. I'm sick and tired of seeing all the people who love you most being used, abused, and terrorized. I'm angry. I'm livid! And I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired about all of this!

How long will it take until you realize that you are not guilting us into submission to you; you're only burning your bridges and further isolating yourself from the only true support system you have. And the last of your bridges are burning down fast.

We can't help you anymore Nicole! I have offered to pay for treatment. I've even offered to drive down to pick you up and deliver you to a program. But you don't want help. You only want someone to support your addiction and then thank you for the opportunity to do so. And that's simply NOT going to happen.

Stop calling your sisters. They are no longer allowed to answer the phone. Stop calling your grandparents. They don't need your abuse. And stop calling me until you are honestly ready to change your life and can talk to me respectfully, without the lies, threats and irrational demands because we've all had enough!

1 comment:

Always Plumpster said...

Sending you a note from a heart that knows the pain of addiction. Someone is praying for you, your family, and the road to recovery for your daughter. It truely is not cliche to say. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can, and the WISDOM to know the difference. Oh that Wisdom at times is the hard part for most of us, especially parents.
I stumbled on your blog, and was drawn to read. I don't pretend to know your daughter or anything truely about her, but I do know this, even now if she reads, you will be speaking to the drug, because right now...she isn't there. Hugs to you,